Saturday, January 19, 2013

Coca - Buff??

Did you know that obesity is now a larger global health crisis than hunger?

I was traveling this week and I am a little behind on some of the drama in the news.  I first saw the Coca-Cola add earlier this week while I was sitting in the airport.  Now, I generally tend to be a very positive person and try not to question the motivations of others (thinking we're all good, honest people) but this "commercial" in the "interests" of people around the world?  Hmmmmm.   I think I was further irritated after seeing the super-size Coca-Cola water bottles on the judges table on American Idol (it was on while I was in the gym).  I'm a little late to the game with this blog post, but writing is my way of processing information and hopefully to make you think about the issues too.

I applaud Coca-Cola for recognizing that their products help contribute to global obesity and the resulting co-morbid disease that may occur as a result.  However, I interpreted this ad as a bit of shameless advertising to not only protect the flagship name brand (Coca-Cola), but also to encourage us to consume their other products.  I grew up with Coca-Cola but I was fortunate to have parents who did not allow us to indulge excessively.  Coca-Cola was an expense, a nice-to-have and hence it was a treat.  It is sad that today there are places where I can pay less for a can of Coca-Cola than for 12 oz. of milk.  I won't get on my bandwagon about misaligned incentives, but honestly, why does it cost more to make healthy eating choices than to make choices that in the long-term will cost us all more?


While Coca-Cola is part of the problem (and they are not the only company that has stepped forward in the past year), they are positioning themselves as wanting to be part of the solution.....I think.  I just keep asking myself, what's in it for them?

I also need to comment on some of the subtle messaging at the end of the video: "All calories count, no matter where they come from. ... And if you eat and drink more calories than you burn off, you'll gain weight." It is true, calories count, but the negative health impact of Coca-Cola (and other sodas) is from more than just the empty calories.  

Finally, I haven't seen many writers mention the issue of individual accountability, a topic which should be discussed more often as it relates to health and wellness.  No one forces us to drink Coca-Cola; it is a choice.  We have a choice to be responsible for our health and fitness.  You're not going to get "buff" drinking Coca-Cola and I would submit that you won't get buff drinking some of their other "low calorie, low/no-sugar" beverages.  Your Health is a Choice YOU make.  Despite all that Coke, Pepsi and other manufacturers are doing, the bottom line is that as a nation, if we want different outcomes, we have to provide people with the opportunity to make different choices.  


References:
Global Obesity Crisis
Coca-Cola Obesity Add
Huffington Post Article
"Honest" Coca-Cola Obesity Video
The Real Bears
Image:  deserthealthnews.com


2 comments:

  1. Hi Daphne,

    There was a time not so long ago that I weighed 120 lbs. could do an hour of high impact aerobics and still go mow my yard. During this time, I probably ate no more than 1,000 calories per day and did not drink Coke or any other carbonated beverage, I only drank water and 2% milk; no coffee, no tea. Now I have to admit, I drink at least 1 - 12 oz soda a day, sometimes more… It is where I get my caffeine. I do drink "diet" versions, but I think we may not fully understand how our bodies respond to the low/no calorie sweetner. My upbringing also viewed soda as a luxury almost and if I got a soda, it was because I found enough bottles to return or managed to earn a quarter someplace.

    While I don't know enough about the science behind the Coke debate to argue its merits, I do believe it is a commentary on the bigger obesity epidemic, indicating that we have the wrong foods in large quantities, too cheap, too readily available - especially in those areas that are still battling hunger in the US, the types of food available are cheap and of little nutritional value. In many of the poorest neighborhoods in Oklahoma City, the only places easily accessible are fast food restaurants and smaller grocery stores that do not have much in the way of fresh vegetables and fruit or fresh meats. So for $5 you can get a burger, fries and a coke without going very far and you don't have to cook it yourself. I digress, this is part of my soap box on the injustice of being poor in the US.

    So we add to the problem by raising a generation of couch potatoes who are driven every place they go and are never expected to just go outside and play. I know I probably sound like somebody's grand parent who walked to school in the snow uphill both ways, but kids need to go outside, they need to be in the sun and breath air that is not conditioned by a machine. Playing outside all day is good for their bodies and their brains.

    I also agree completely with your thoughts on personal accountability, but I also believe there are bigger societal issues that need to be addressed to help get this problem under control:
    - Children have to be encouraged to use their bodies starting at a very early age. Limitations on TV time, computer time and video games have to be the rule.
    - How do we get fresh, wholesome food into poor neighborhoods? How do we get the fast food places out?
    - Stop letting children decide what they are going to eat. So what if they would rather have a pizza, they need broccoli and an apple and the schools need to stop making unhealthy food available in the cafeteria. Parents have to start acting like parents and not the kids' best friend.
    - Funding for athletic programs and PE (good old fashioned gym class) need to become a priority and not the first to go.
    - Neighborhoods need to be safe enough that kids can play outside.

    Boy - I got on a roll, didn't I? Keep up your efforts and Happy Inauguration Day.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, thank you so much for sharing your comments. I agree 100%. There are food deserts that need to be addressed. There are disincentives to eat well and be healthy. The motivation to get out and play in the fresh air and sunshine aren't there or aren't available for some children. And all of the other societal challenges you mention also contribute to the current problem and the resulting future problems related to health in the US. Whenever I shop I realize how fortunate I am to be able to have access and afford healthy foods. I don't have any good answers, but I will keep trying, one person at a time, to have some impact. Maybe if each of us takes the same approach we will move the meter.

    ReplyDelete