Monday, March 4, 2013

March Kettlebell Challenge: One Arm Upright Row

This is the final of four tutorials for the March Kettlebell Challenge.  I'm sure by now you're wondering how I am going to stitch all of this together.  No worries, it will be great fun!  

I hope that during the last two months you have achieved some improvements in your upper body strength.  We've worked the pectorals (chest), triceps and deltoids (shoulders).  The kettlebell challenge will work on the core, upper and lower body.  The single arm upright row will focus on the deltoids (shoulders).  I selected the single arm approach rather than double arm for two reasons:  1) it will allow you to improve the strength on your "weaker" side and 2) the two-hand approach tends to involve more trapezius than the single arm and I want to focus on building those wonderful caps on your shoulders.


Your shoulder muscles are delicate.  Treat them with kindness and respect.  As I have suggested in the past, leave your ego at the door and train smart.  Using a 40 pound kettlebell may be possible, but do you need to go heavy to derive the benefits?  Be slow and deliberate with your movements, focus on the positive and the negative and you might find that 10 pounds feels like 40 pounds.

Single Arm Upright Row Tutorial 

Tomorrow I will post the details of the 21 day Kettlebell Challenge.  I hope you'll join us and bring some friends along for the fun.

Image Credit: http://fitnessinsane.com/training/shoulder-training-101/




No comments:

Post a Comment